I’m not vegan, but I am -really- curious about trying vegan recipes and substitute. It cannot hurt…right?! As usual, I was browsing my good old friend, the internet, and found this recipe from yup it’s vegan and thought I could give it a try. I mean if it can be as good as the real deal, I’m in. You don’t need 20 hundred ingredients to do it, just a few and you can find them at your local supermarket, no need to go somewhere special, I find it -super- nice.
- 250 g raw cashews soaked in water overnight
- 2 tbsp plain, unsweetened non-dairy yoghurt – I used all of the soy yoghurts
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- water as needed to blend
- Drain the liquid off of the soaked cashews.
- Add them to a blender and blend. You can add water to make it easier to blend.
- Add the yoghurt and salt and pulse to combine.
- Transfer to the container and cover.
- Let sit out at room temperature for 24 hours. Add more sea salt to taste.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 weeks. (Note: length of storage time may depend on the culturing conditions and brand of yoghurt used).
What do you think? Delicious right?! Just like the real deal. I didn’t try -yet- but I’m sure if you make this cream cheese, you can use it in some sweets recipe to make the recipe vegan. Imagine myself doing my happy dance, that’s how good I think it is!
If you ever make the recipe, please let me know and snap and share a pic with me! I would love to see yours.