If you follow me on Instagram, you might have seen that I made for the first time tomato sauce. It might become a habit, I always buy tomatoes and try to use them as much as I can but by the end, I don’t know what I can do with them. This was a perfect idea! Plus you can make lots of it and freeze it and use it whenever you need. Plus it smells and tastes so much better.
- 3 kg/6.5 lbs ripe tomatoes
- 1 small branch of fresh thyme
- 4 onions
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of Cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Dip the tomatoes for 30-45 seconds in salted boiling water.-it depends on the tomato-. Peel them, cut them in two. Chop them roughly.
- Peel onions and garlic cloves and chop them finely.
- Heat some olive oil in a saucepan. Sauté garlic and onion, add tomatoes, sugar, bay leaf, thyme, Cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and mix with a wooden spoon to prevent the sauce from burning.
- Cook for at least an hour on low heat stirring often so that the bottom does not stick.
Thanks to my mum and grandparents for the tomatoes, I now know how to make tomato sauce and I think I won’t be buying it from the store maybe just in case of an emergency! By the way, with this tomato sauce, I made –kinda- like a Bolognese with soy protein, I didn’t add any spices except the one that I put in the sauce.
-Enjoy the recipe and let me know what you think, don’t forget if you want to see more you can subscribe to my newsletter and get notified when I post something new. You can also follow me on Instagram, this is where I post all of my photos. you just need to click here or on the icon next to the search bar.-