I always love to try new recipes and new food combinations, so why change now (?!). I cannot hide it anymore, I’m a cooking addict, a cooking addict, whatever involves cooking or frying foods, you can count me in. I’m not afraid to try new ingredients. It actually makes me -genuinely- happy. It makes me feel like I’m travelling without leaving my kitchen. Browsing my old’ friend the internet, discovering new recipes. I often get -super- hungry looking at all those pictures of food. YUM! AND I’m sure you do too! I thought I would make you travel with me with this brilliant find!
For the sauce:
- 270 ml water
- 60 ml soy sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cm piece of ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon light oil (such as canola, vegetable, or peanut oil)
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 200 g red lentils
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Cooked rice for serving
- Mince the garlic and grate the ginger.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all the sauce ingredients.
- Chop the onion.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, then add the onion and sauté for a few minutes until it softens and begins to brown.
- Now, add the lentils and the sauce. Bring to a simmer until the lentils are cooked and tender, and most of the liquid is absorbed about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve by spooning over rice, and garnishing with the sesame seeds.
Make sure to keep a lil’ bit of sauce and put it on the rice, OR it will be really dry. Another option, you can put soy cream or even coconut cream.
I found this recipe super quick (I made it under 20 minutes), or maybe it’s just because I’m super fast! HA! BUT yet delish. It’s one of those recipes you need to keep around, for those times… You know what I’m talking about right (?). When you don’t have time to cook fancy OR elaborate meals. I may call it a LIFESAVER. OHMYGOD! I said it (!!). I’m sure the lentils alone would even taste amazing. It has this kick to it, BUT it is not too spicy. Just THE right amount.
On found the recipe right >>here<< on It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken blog.
al’right, I cannot wait to know what you guys think (!). Would you ever try something you never tried before?